Strange Things

 

Albany, OR, October 2, 2020, 7:42 a.m.

Evan asked me why I like taking pictures of strange things. At first, I didn't understand his question. Then, I really thought about it. 

Why does he think this is strange? Do others think it's strange? Why do I like taking pictures in general? Do I have a weird sense of what to take pictures of? The list could go on...

I like taking pictures because I want to capture things that make others see the subject differently. I want to alter someone's opinion or give someone chills, or even just make a person feel some sort of change when they're looking at the image. I want to do what other artists have done for me when I look at their work. I want them to feel anything.

Without answering his question, I said, "you have a fear of spiders, don't you?" 

His response, "yes, you know that."

I continued, "then what do you feel when you look at this photo of something you fear."

His reply is what made me realized why I take pictures. He told me, "I kind of feel curious. Did you really get that close?"

"Do you feel scared?"

"No, more like this is something beautiful, and I didn't know it."

That is what really got me. Him saying that I was able to show him the beauty in something he never thought was beautiful.  That is what I want to do.

So, I take pictures of things that are strange because I don't see them as strange. I try not to predict other's reactions because people are surprising. I like taking pictures in general because it makes me happy regardless of what others think of it. I may have a weird sense, but I appreciate having any sense at all. 

Comments

Popular Posts