Humans of LBCC

Evan (standing), Athena (on the ground), and 
I (behind the camera)
playing in our decorated yard with dogs

It's that spine-chilling time of year again. Costumes are planned, decorations are set up, and spooky movies are a must. Although, this year will be different, with COVID-19 being the scariest monster of all. Children will not be in groups, trick or treating, and playing in the streets (at least not without masks). CDC guidelines will still be in effect, parents will be more worried about safety, and those who are vulnerable will probably keep their porch lights off just in case.  

We have been living in the declared pandemic for eight months now. I am a first-time mother myself to a one-year-old daughter, Athena. I can say a world-wide pandemic has added a bit more stress to my
family and me. In addition to a child, I am also apart of that very dreaded vulnerable population due to being a type 1 diabetic. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most people don't know the difference between type 1 and 2; type 1 is a noncurable, life-threatening unless cared for properly, insulin-dependent, auto-immune disease due to the pancreas failing at producing insulin. Type 2 IS cured by diet and exercise, is due to the body not responding well to insulin, typically due to overweight, and is not life-threatening with optimal care. Type 1 is about 10% of the diabetic population, whereas type 2 is around 90-95%. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COVID-19 has effected many lives in different ways. If students weren't in more stressed with remote learning, then classes held fewer classmates. If it wasn't the required face mask-wearing, then it was the risk of getting the virus. If it wasn't businesses losing profit from closing, then it was hazardous environments for workers and the public. The pandemic has touched everyone's life in one way or another. For us, it's been a bit of both. 

My fiance, Evan, has been quite stressed over my well being. Since I am at risk for a more detrimental virus impact, I am basically bathed in hand sanitizer anytime I go anywhere. I am often worried about our daughter too. Yes, everyone must wear face masks, but it still scares me to bring her into a store or a public area without intensely cleaning everything she touches.

On the other hand, the pandemic has brought some good into our lives. It's allowed me to be home more than I would have ever been. I get to take care of my daughter, rather than asking others to watch her. It has allowed me to be more involved in my family's life when I'm usually loaded with work or school. As a family, it has brought us closer. For that, I am at ease with it. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts